Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Trouble with Tribals


I have taken to watching the Tribals: the neo-hippie, eco-aware, university drop-out, ripped designer wearing, soon to be yuppies in 4WD suburbans, loaf around public lawn spaces together. I wish I had a tribe. If we could find our tribe everything would be fine. My personal affections would I think lean toward the neo-victorian, loft or old house living, esoterica collecting, arty, technophile crowd. But sadly there is no Mecca in North America for the purchase of such a lifestyle.

Silly thought really: lifestyle. Do I mean livelihood? Do I mean political values? Perhaps I mean community and perhaps I just mean cool stuff. Even if I had all the cool stuff, I'd still have to live next to Buba. Or Singen-Smythe. So in my dream I find a whole city with my aesthetic. I find my tribe.

Sadly, I am a pessimist about human nature, and realise that no matter what group you join, artistically, politically, socially, geographically, that the Pareto Principle 80/20 law applies. Shit! I've just joined a bunch of idiots. Worse, I also represent a bunch of creeps and looneys.

Maybe I'm just the kind who doesn't get along with anyone.

Mr. Kingfisher

No comments:

Post a Comment